Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Super 8 workprinter...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member syracusefilm.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So, the same idiotic group is still at it, huh. Anyway, I'm interested in transferring lots of film but don't want to pay through the nose. Rank is best, but I'm looking for a more economical way to transfer. I've seen a specific workprinter around the net, but am very disappointed with the designer/owner's people skills and attitude towards fellow filmmakers and possible future customers, so I'm boycotting his product and in leiu I would like to design my own workprinter, or assist in developing a competing product. Ideally I would like to drive prices down on transfers.

    Specification and information on current workprinters are needed if fellow filmmakers are generous enough to provide it.

    Thanks everyone.

    Nick

    LLS8

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Corey D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    50
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What are you? Alex number 4?

    BTW, you can't just build a workprinter. I've tried. You need someone who knows what they're doing, like Rog. www.moviestuff.tv

  3. #3
    Inactive Member syracusefilm.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Alex no. 4, ha. No, just a filmmaker who has been offended by an individual(S) and would like to take advantage of our capatilistic right. I'm sure building a workprinter isn't an easy task, but if there's will...

    Anyway, does anyone want to divulge the projector model? I think it might be a B&H but can't be sure.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Corey D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    50
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm very dissapointed wth the designer/owner's people skills and attitude towards fellow filmmakers and possible future customers, so I'm boycotting his product
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">The only person Roger was hostile towards was Alex. And that's because he interfered with Matt's ebay auction by emailing the high bidder a really old post concerning his broken camera. Matt didn't update the post, but did state on the auction that the camera was working fine. The bidder backed out causing Matt to lose a lot of money. All because of Alex. So you're saying you don't like Roger's people skills?? All he was trying to do is show people like me, what a goof Alex is. If it's anyone you'd be boycotting it would be Alex. Oh wait, you can't because you ARE Alex.


    Corey

  5. #5
    Inactive Member King Ghidorah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2003
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There seems to be some backlash against this WorkPrinter thing on here and the person who makes it. Okay, I don't know the whole story. I won't jump to conclusions.

    However why is everybody claiming that the moderator here is using other names? This person who started this post, he's got his own website and looks like his name isn't Alex, that's for sure. Not unless Alex, I'm sorry I don't know your full name, Alex, but not unless Alex spent years building up an "identity" in some other state! I get the impression Alex is from California.

    By the way, it looks like a Gaf projector. However it is, I'm sure, harder to build than it looks, though I'm sure it can be done, it's a question of "cost to worth it factor". It does seem to me that some competition would be healthy considering all the problems I seem to see going on here.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member syracusefilm.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Corey, what if you were high bidder on that camera? You'd be probably thanking Alex. Why don't you check out my site, just to prove that I am not Alex, but came to these few forums a few months ago with a legit question and was completely offended and ridiculed by individuals. The person who really helped me with my problem was Alex, and after, the others tried and claimed to be more helpful, but only because Alex did the right thing in the first place and they didn't want to look like the fools they have become. I have no quams with you Corey, but I am not Alex, just a fellow filmmaker with some respect for others like me.

    Now, back to the topic...any interesting suggestions?

  7. #7
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Corey D.:
    What are you? Alex number 4?

    BTW, you can't just build a workprinter. I've tried. You need someone who knows what they're doing, like Rog. www.moviestuff.tv
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Corey, you don't seem to be very objective. I'm starting to wonder if you cold be Roger.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member johnnycamcorder's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2003
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by syracusefilm.com:
    I've seen a specific workprinter around the net, but am very disappointed with the designer/owner's people skills and attitude towards fellow filmmakers and possible future customers, so I'm boycotting his product
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Your options are limited. If you are a very good engineer, then you can build something like the workprinter eventually. I've been involved with developing devices of similar complexity for the film industry, and it takes a lot of resources: money, time, money, energy, and did I mention money? And energy. The process is a long one of trial and error. You almost never get it completely right, especially if you are working alone.

    That said, most of the work has already been done for you. It's not like you're inventing a whole new process for transferring film: you're basically re-inventing something that already exists; much of the work has been done for you.

    assist in developing a competing product. Ideally I would like to drive prices down on transfers.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Driving down the price of transfers is an admirable goal, but they are already as cheap as I've ever seen them.

    Unless you're very wealthy, it's not likely you could invent, test, prototype, develop, manufacture and distribute a film transfer device in a short enough period of time to actually compete with any existing products. By the time your beta version of the product is ready, the existing product has already been through several upgrades and improvements.

    Specification and information on current workprinters are needed if fellow filmmakers are generous enough to provide it.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Now I just KNOW you're not asking people to send you the specs of their Workprinter so you can copy it! (/sarcasm - This is exactly what you appear to be requesting.)

    You'd do well to have an understanding about intellectual property if you are going to undertake a "reverse engineering" project on a patented device. Recent revisions to the laws have made this practice much more risky. Soliciting specifications on patented devices in order to "reverse engineer" the device is criminal conspiracy. These are very serious federal offenses.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Corey D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    50
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Corey, what if you were high bidder on that camera? You'd be probably thanking Alex.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">No, I'd be p i s s e d off that I backed out of a great deal because of some misinformation. The camera was not broken and Matt said in the description that it was not broken.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Corey D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    50
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Corey, you don't seem to be very objective. I'm starting to wonder if you cold be Roger.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">I think if Roger was pretending to be me he wouldn't be that obvious.

    There's just no other way to go. Yeah, sure you could experiment and try different things, but by the time you've figured out something that works, you've probably spent 2 or 3 times of what the original workprinter costs. Your product will probably be inferior to the workprinter also.

    Corey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •